Feild radio operator
Create Post

Feild radio operator

my mos is Feild radio operator could I get some info on this is a great job is it risky whats great about this job ?

Quote Originally Posted by GI JOE
    my mos is Feild radio operator could I get some info on this is a great job is it risky whats great about this job ?
    Im an 0311, but Ive known a few Field Radio Operators so Ill give you the brief run-down of the "dangers"

You will be in charge of a Companies Comm assets, and where ever the company comander goes you will be with him. Some times in a Humvee, sometimes with a 10' whip of death sticking out of your day pack.... Id put it at about equal to the danger of being a regular grunt, due to you being a sniper magnet, but you wont be outside the wire as much, so it evens it out.

This applies to a rifle company only, as that is all I have experienced... I have no idea what it is like when you are with a more POG type unit.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    There is nothing grunt proof or Marine proof for that matter. Most grunt units stick a radio on the back of a PFC 0311 with strong legs and a big heart. The comm shop is in the rear to fix that radio after he falls and breaks it.

Artillery more than any needs wire and comm. You get attached to an artillery unit and you will dig a lot of ditches and lay a lot of wire. There is also comm units that make sure all the telephones keep ringing at the generals office. Odds are against a comm type seeing the backside of grunt walking.

Field Radio Operator

Once you are done with boot camp you will be sent to sunny California. 29 Palms to be exact. Very hot in the daytime and it feels like winter at night, but it is the desert. You will practice and practice - similar to boot camp - until you get it right. Once you have finished the classroom part you will go out into the hills around the base and set-up and transmit and receive messages for 3 days. You will do it until you get it right 100% of the time. Remember the game telephone you played as a kid and how the message was always wrong from the first person until the last? Well you will get it right, trust me. You will at times carry the radio with the 10 foot whip antenna or the radio can be permenate mount to a jeep or a command center. Never use the phrase over and out like you see in the movies. When using "over" it means you are waiting for a response from the message just sent. When using "out" it means message complete no response needed. Never, Never use in the same sentence. Never say "repeat" unless you are calling in artillary fire.
    Some of this may have changed since I was in but I'm sure alot hasn't. The equipment should be better we use PRC-77. Good luck and enjoy.
    One more thing we were told that we had a 3 second life expectantcy once the bullets started to fly, but you also need to remember that you will be the only contact to the outside world when the unit is on patrol so they will do everything to protect you.
    Semper Fi!

this can be a great job, if you apply your self and join the joint communications unit which is a very select unit that works with spec. ops (you have to go to jump school) , classes you want to take on your own would be basic electricty course, radio wave propagation and antenna construction, even if you don't join joint communications unit with these classes it will give you a major advantage over most people in your unit, remember anyone can talk on a radio you make your name by troble shooting and keeping communications up, you are the voice of the command , if you are down the unit is down, good luck .

Thread Information